Sunday, February 24, 2008

Ni Hao from China

Hello everyone. We are sitting in the business center of the hotel waiting to go to the Civil Affairs office. We were not able to pick up Shayla this morning due to snow. They could not bring her from the orphanage. So we are instead going at 3:30 today. We will meet her around 4:00 pm.

The smog and pollution isn't great on the lungs! That is what we probably dislike the most. That and the smoking everywhere is terrible.

Our guide Michelle is very nice. She took us to the free market today to do a bit of shopping. I bought a hair accessory thingie and some Chinese cut outs that her province is known for. That and an embroidered thing of the 12 animals that hang down. It is cute. Cost us 110 or so Yuan.

I have decided not to go back to the internet cafe as it was awful. The smoke, the young boys, the darkness. It's more expensive here, but yet still very cheap!!!!

There isn't much to do in her province. There is a Walmart and we are going to go to that after we get Shayla.

Beijing was mucho coldo. It was okay, but the winds were awful. We are excited to move on from here.

I am very proud of how I have been eating. I have been trying a lot of stuff. Nothing odd mind you. I make sure it's safe. I have been eating Chinese food only though.

I have to say my feet have been awful and my Lymphadema has been awful due to all the MSG. So if you have a salt issue, you have to really drink your water, or eat only small amounts.

Well that is all for now. We will undoubtedly have more to share once we receive our little one.

I miss my furbabies and my friends, but we know it's just a matter of time before we return home:)

xo from both of us!

9 comments:

OVPI News said...

YAY! Thanks for the update. Can't wait to read that you have your little girl :)
xoxoxo
s&b

mskajlc said...

I rushed to the computer to see if there is any update, sorry to hear about the snow but by now you should have Shayla!!!

Marsha said...

According to my clock, you've had your daughter for about 4 hours now!! I hope you get to somewhere you can post an update and pictures to soon, I'm dyin here! :)
I'm proud of you for not just eating white rice the whole time too. The food in China was so delicious, I really really miss it. I never get homesick for american food in China, but I'm always "home"sick for the food in China here in America! Of course, not eating anything odd is no fun, but I'll let you slide ;) Maybe you can still try the ostrich steak at the Cow and Bridge in Guangzhou?

Marsha

Unknown said...

Sorry you had snow to deal with (a fresh foot of snow fell here on Friday! YUCK!)

I hope you're happily snuggling with Miss Shayla now!!!! Can't wait to see pictures! I'll be checking the blog non-stop now!

Hugs!

Jenn

janeez2 said...

Hi! You should have your little snowbaby by now! (And you probably thought you could escape NE weather & snow!!) Can't wait to hear more about your special first day/night together as a family! Yahoo for being an adventurous eater in China - it's the only way to be! I second that recommendation Marsha about the ostrich steak in Guangzhou- yummo!!!

Mom to 2 Boyz said...

Thank you for updating your Blog. I was missing you guys something awful and SOOOO anxious to hear some news of Shayla!

I cant wait to see you guys and meet your little girl!!!!

xoxoxo
MJL

Julie said...

Thanks for the update! The next post should be the one we are all waiting for!

Monica said...

Can't wait to see Shayla! Have loads of fun there for us. When you get home, I'd love to see pictures of Taiyuan again.

Say hi to Michelle. I loved her, she was so sweet. Does she have an email address?

Lots of love and luck,
Monica
Reese's Jie Jie

Christina said...

Can't wait to hear all about the trip and to see a photo of you and Bill with Shayla.

Miss you!
Christina