Monday, December 8, 2008

Manners

Are they important to you? They aren't to roughly 1/2 of America if you want my humble opinion. I know plenty of people who can barely mumble a thank you. That is why I have done my best to teach Ping manners and will continue to do so. Today she really impressed me with them. Mind you, she does often, but I have never discussed this here.

Whenever I get her a drink, snack or meal, she says "Thank you Mama." My favorite is when I say "Ping, do you have to use the bathroom?" Her response is always "No thank you Mama." It cracks me up. Bill was laughing over the weekend every time she said it. I find it to be rather adorable. For those that know me, I don't say "pee" or "potty." I hate the word potty. "Do you have to go potty?" has never left my lips. It's fine if you want to say it, but I personally hate it! After all, if you have a "potty" mouth, it's considered a "dirty" mouth. Well my potty isn't often dirty. I always say "Ladies Room or bathroom." Women's room or Girls room is fine. I don't use "Girls room because I am not a girl." I may not even be a lady, but I say "Ladies room" anyway:)

I also don't say the word "pee." I hate it. Why do I need to know what you are doing in the bathroom? You don't hear people saying that they need to take a "mean shit" unless they are a bunch of uneducated people, no? A few years back, my friend Anita and I were walking around the Wrentham Outlets and she said "I have to pee." So I responded with "Really, good to know because I have to take a major dump!" I thought she was going to die right there in the parking lot. We were both rolling. She could not believe that I said what I said. So I told her about the issue I have with the word "pee." She got the point. We still laugh to this day when we remember that day.

So I am pleased to say that I am seeing Ping's manners and I love it. I love hearing her talk anyway and it's even sweeter when it's "Thank you Mama!"

5 comments:

Kim said...

One of my favorite subjects. We live in the Deep South and manners, to me, are mandatory. You don't realize how unimportant they are to others until you are out and about. We went on a cruise for Thanksgiving and got so many compliments on Sheridan's behavior and manners. Often, they were prefaced with 'you just don't see manners in children anymore'. Such a shame as good manners can open the door to many things.

Tammy said...

lol! Jill thanks for the laugh.
I can just hear sweet Ping Ping and her wonderful manners. T and C do very well in that area as well, but pee and potty are daily words around here. ;)

Christina said...

Big on manners and chivalry here, too. Tristan is a good boy, and people do often compliment him.

I must admit that we do use "tinkle" and "poop" for the dogs! Is that okay? :)

Lesley said...

Good manners will serve her well. We do use the word "pee" and "poo" .... it's part of potty training at such a young age. Although now we're trying to teach her that there is a time and place for those words (i.e. not the dinner table!).

mskajlc said...

Pee, Potty and Poop are used here daily. You might even hear me scream that the dog took a mean shit in the basement (and I am educated!). I think as long as they learn when its appropriate to use different terminology is key. I totally get that you dont want them telling the cashier at the Mall that the dog took a mean shit in the basement yesterday.