Monday, January 11, 2010

Need to get off the hamster wheel

It's been a busy weekend and Monday.

We got up early on Saturday and drove to Rhode Island for an 11:00 am Christmas party. The agency we used for Ping's home study puts on a party every year. We had a nice time. They had people there running a popcorn machine and a cotton candy machine. Ping had cotton candy for the first time. She loved it. Shocker! They had someone wear a Spongebob costume and they had Santa and Mrs. Claus come. It was a nice time.

We stopped for lunch on the way home. We were all pretty hungry. There was food at the event, but it's pot luck. To be honest, there were not a lot of main dishes. So I had a piece of pizza and called it a day.

Once home, we did a little cleaning and then enjoyed the rest of the evening watching TV in separate rooms. We never watch TV together.

On Sunday, Ping went to Sunday school and then I took her to my friend Audra's house so that Ping could play with Ava and Elise. The girls had a great time. After I left there, I tried to find a gift shop that I have been to in Sutton before. I didn't know the way, but I did eventually find it! The place was closed, so that was disappointing. Ping was thrilled. She didn't have any desire to do this errand with me. I actually asked her to get over it. I took her to play for a few hours and now she is declaring she will not do this errand with me? Hello darling, you are four!!!!!! Ping was a motor mouth too. I love talking with her, but sometimes it's exhausting. She wants to know how many errands we are doing, what they are and how we are getting there. Ping breaks the route down by the type of road. Highways are fast roads and she doesn't like them and says they are bad. Medium roads are those smaller routes, like 146. Slow roads are roads through town. So when I say we have an errand to do, she first complains about the errand, she then asks where it is and then she asks how we are going to get there. Then she gives you her feedback. Usually it is "I hate errands, I will not go in with you, I will not say hello and I don't want to go on the fast road because I don't like fast roads, fast roads are bad!" This is a daily conversation. On the way to the gift shop, she made me tell her every holiday and birthday till next Christmas. She does this often. It drives me sort of batty. However, I indulge her as does Daddy. The other day I had to pause so that I could think of the road to turn down and so that I could think of the next holiday. She started barking at me from the back seat. I was like "Ping, give me a minute. I need to think!!!!!" She is relentless. She will repeat something to me over and over until I answer. It's fine for the most part, but some days, like on day 7 (Sunday) of doing the stay at home mom, I get a little irritated.

Anyway, we went home after going to the closed gift shop. We did a few things at home and then headed out for two errands. This time I told her to direct her questions to Daddy as she asked the same thing. "Where we going? How are we getting there? Why are we going there? I thought we were going to see Ayi Meri and Uncle Joe, they live this way, not that way!" As you can see, it can be a bit draining!!!!!! We did have dinner plans with Meri, Joe, Lucas and Ryan. We were invited to their house for steak and potatoes. Yum!!!!! We opened our Christmas presents since they were away during Christmas and Ping and Lucas played with the Wii. We had a great time. We got home very late though. It would have been okay, but then the tones went off. Bill is on call this week. So just as she is getting into bed and getting ready for a story, Daddy has to go. She is way overtired, so she is devastated Daddy has to leave. I take over and she calms down. Bill got home much earlier than usual because he didn't have to go on the call. So just as she is almost asleep, he comes in. Then she needs lotion for her itchy skin. Get the picture? The girl went to bed after 11:30 pm and that is not at all the normal for her.

Some time during the night, the tones went off again, but it was a fire call. Bill didn't have to go, but that doesn't mean that I am not blown out of bed when the tones go off. Then who can sleep when they are communicating with the station for a few hours? Not me! When the alarm went off this morning, I got up and tried to get Ping going. She wasn't budging. I tried and tried. She kept falling down on the pillow and snoring. So I came downstairs to get the number for school and I cancelled an appointment so that we could sleep. By the time I got back upstairs, Ping was wide awake in bed and asking about school. Are you serious?????? I already said she wasn't going to school and I didn't have enough time to get ready. I could have gotten her ready, but then she would have been late. So I crawled back into bed and encouraged her to get some additional rest. Needless to say, she said she wasn't at all tired. So she got out of bed and went downstairs to play. When I woke up and asked her to get ready with me for a 12:00 pm appointment, I found that she had my good address labels stuck to her nightgown and yogurt all over her face. Oh boy! She didn't do too much damage. I was worried about that. I always regret it when I keep her home. I just couldn't move her. She was zonked out.

The two of us headed to the dealership for an oil change and a few other things. We ended up being there for four hours! What a long day. She was so very good though. I was so proud of her. I did bring her a snack, but no lunch. I felt bad, but didn't know we would be there so long. I also brought a coloring book and crayons for her. They had a large screen TV and the man cleaning gave me the remote and told me to find cartoons for her. So that is what kept her happy for so long. I was grateful. We headed straight home afterwards. Bill came home a few hours later. He had to stop and get his crushed cell phone at Meri's house. It fell off last night and he didn't see it due to the black case. He ended up running over it. While we waited on him, I did a lot of cleaning around the house. Looked like a tornado hit it. Once Bill was home, the two of them watched Penguins of Madagascar. This was a present to Bill from the Stands. I couldn't drag the two away. Ping did get into bed for 8:00 pm though. Yay. She didn't get the bath I had intended her to have, but she did get into bed on time. Too bad it took her forever to fall asleep!

Ping reminds me every day of why I love her so. It's the little things that are funny or loving or cute. Tonight she was looking at one of her favorite books and she is identifying all of these animals and I love it when she knows what a Tucan is. It's a bird, but she knows it's a Tucan because of the book. I am so proud of her when I see her get things like that correct. The other day we were driving and chatting. She was telling me that the sun is in China when West Boylston has the moon and the moon is in China when West Boylston has the sun. She said it was a "pattern." She was having trouble with patterns, so I was so proud of her. She went on to tell me that orange and black for Halloween is a pattern, that green and red for Christmas is a pattern and going to ice skating lessons on one day and ballet another day is a pattern because they keep coming one after the other. I am so proud of her when she figures things out. I know all parents are. It just amazes me that less than two years ago, she didn't know English!

One more thing that I will share with you before I go to bed is proof that she is always one step ahead of us. The other day she asked to watch a movie. I told her it was too long. So she picked up the DVD case and asked me to tell her how long it was. I asked Bill tonight after she did this to me again, if he had taught her that. He hadn't. Where did she get that from? So now I have to tell her how long a movie is and then we have to figure out if there is enough time to watch it or not. We are so in for it as she gets older!!!!!

That is all I can think of for now. She just came downstairs looking for us, so I need to get up there before she awakes again.

Hope you are well.

Mama Out!!!!!!

Ready to head to the party.

First taste of cotton candy.

Yum, where have you been hiding this stuff?

She looked like an elderly China man here with a beard.

Spongebob and Ping.

No Santa, I didn't get what I asked for. WHAT? Um, she did!!!! Santa kept saying "I am so sorry, the postal service isn't what it used to be." I was like "Santa, this SANTA knows what she is doing!!!"

Opening gift from Santa.

Ping's friend Duncan putting a balloon on her head. This is cotton candy number 2. I didn't give it to her!

No comments: